Finding a way to remove molds is very difficult, not to mention tiring when doing the chore itself, yucky, and can be hazardous to one’s health. So what more if it grows on something that your baby uses, like a stroller, for example? It can be challenging and detrimental to your baby’s well being at the same time.
This issue can be really stressing because you will not only need to find a solution as soon as possible, you will also worry about your child’s health, especially if he is sensitive to molds. Usually molds are harmless – but in small amounts. If it grows, however, spores can be released into the air, which can be easily inhaled and might cause health problems.
So let’s know more about molds, what it is, how to prevent it, and how to remove one off a baby stroller to lessen our worries.
What is a Mold?
Mold is a type of fungus that looks like dirt that spreads on the walls. It thrives on moisture so they can usually be seen in the confines of you cupboard sink, bathroom, and wherever there is moisture that doesn’t get reached by sunlight. It reproduces by means of tiny, lightweight spores that travel through the air. Its colors can be black, white, orange, green, or purple in color. Again, it is usually harmless in small amounts, but too much of anything already poses health risks to anyone, so it is best to not only remove or clean the mold because preventing it is the key.
Tips and Tricks to Prevent Molds
We cannot control when your baby will spill milk or food on his stroller, because we know how babies are, they are naturally clumsy and they don’t have good control over their locomotors. Parents are just left to deal with the aftermath of the mess that their little ones have made. Below is a list on how we can prevent the growth of molds:
- When baby spills drinks or food – especially wet food on the stroller, make sure that you clean it immediately.
- Make sure that it is wiped dry because molds thrive on damp areas.
- Regularly wipe your baby stroller clean.
- Store your baby stroller in a cool dry place.
- For use of sprays, try a citronella spray in your storage area because it is known to have anti-fungal properties
How to Remove the Molds Off a Baby Stroller
Apart from preventing molds, totally removing mold stain is another challenge that we must overcome. A lot of options can be found all over the internet, but what is the most effective formula or solution?
There’s actually none, because it actually depends on proper application and procedure. Below are some solutions and formulae that you can use to remove molds and prevent damage on your baby stroller:
- Use a mixture of 2 tbsp. chlorine bleach and 1 quart of water to remove stubborn mold from light or white fabrics or plastics. Spray the solution onto the moldy area, scrub the area well and then rinse with clean water.
- If it’s possible to remove the fabric lining of your stroller, do so carefully and then wash the fabric or foam in hot soapy water and place it in the sun to dry
- Remove larger mold stains by mixing three parts white vinegar to two parts water in a spray bottle. Wet the entire area. Allow to sit for one hour and then rinse thoroughly.
- Scrub the moldy area with soap and water and rinse well. Leave the stroller in the sun for several hours to dry.
- Clean any remaining mold by dampening the area with lemon juice, sprinkling salt on top of the area and then leaving it in the sun to dry. Rinse very well.
- Use detergents and soaps that are hypoallergenic and safe for your baby to prevent skin rashes or allergies
- Using the washing machine will help you get a deep clean on your stroller. Always remember to run a gentle cycle, to avoid damage on the fabric
- Never use the tumble dryer on your stroller fabrics, as they can get damaged. It is preferable to dry them under the sun.
You can also use detergents but make sure to check product description to prevent skin allergies, because some contain harsh chemicals. You wouldn’t want your baby’s delicate skin be damaged by chemicals, so might as well go with the natural alternatives.
Keeping everything clean and organized will help us big time in our daily challenges as parents. It is tiring and time-consuming but at the end of the day what matters most is our child’s safety and comfort, and good health. Mothers are the best detectives, so we try our best to look for the best solution to end the problem. Just as you would look high and low for the best stroller for toddler to give your child the best, you would also do most that you can to maintain cleanliness and wellness for your child’s best health possible.
Always remember prevention is better than cure, so make sure to apply the tips to prevent mold growth not only in your baby’s stroller but also inside your home. We can check online for reliable articles to know more about molds and how to prevent it. You can also opt for natural alternatives because it is always the better option compared to using chemical detergents that may be more effective for cleaning or removing molds but might pose health risks.